Friday, August 6, 2010

AAN Day 46 - Liverpool to Little Falls, NY

Daily Statistics:
Mileage: 78.4 miles Average Speed: 16.3 mph
Vertical: 1337 feet Depart: 7:06 AM Arrive: 12:22 PM
Calories: 5249

Link to Garmin ROUTE DATA

Today started with a chance of rain, and within about 10 miles, we really had rain. It either drizzled or poured virtually the entire rest of the way to the motel. As a result, I don't have many pictures from the road. I did take this shot at SAG 1, where the rain had let up briefly. It shows the group I spent the first miles with coming in on the wet roads.

After a pretty good day on the road, considering everything, we got to Little Falls. I actually preferred riding in the rain today to the heat and humidity we had yesterday, but everyone did not share my opinion. At any rate, soon after we got in, the skies cleared and it was a pretty nice afternoon. Here you can see the "little falls" in the Mohawk River that caused the name. The Mohawk is below, and the canal above at this location.

You can see the town looking from along the canal back toward town. It is an old, and largely dying community, but has some neat features, including several old churches. I checked the cornerstone on one, and it was from 1878.

After a nice lunch downtown, Leo and I walked the half mile or so down the canal to Lock 17. It is the highest lock on the canal, and I think in the country. It has a 40.5 foot rise. Unfortunately, the next boat was not going to be along for almost an hour, and we didn't wait, so I didn't get to see it in operation. It was built in 1909 as part of a canal upgrade to compete with the railroads.

Hopefully, we can keep the cooler temperatures without the rain tomorrow. I have already ruined two pair of socks in the rain.

No comments: