Friday, August 6, 2010

AAN Day 47 - Little Falls to Latham, NY

Daily Statistics:
Mileage: 75.0 miles Average Speed: 16.3 mph
Vertical: 2649 feet Depart: 7:21 AM Arrive: 1:15 PM
Calories: 5275

Link to Garmin ROUTE DATA

What a difference a day makes! Today we had almost ideal conditions. It was sunny, the temperatures were mild, and there was a nice tail wind a good deal of the way. We headed out of Little Falls, and spent the bulk of the early ride on NY Route 5S. It was rolling terrain, and generally along the route of the Mohawk River. You can see a view here.

About 56 miles in, we entered a bike path along the canal, and went right by Lock 8, which is a fairly modest lift to handle the drop you see here. Again, there were no boats ready to use the lock as there were 3 years ago when I was by.

As we crossed the river near town, we saw some waterskiers. We hoped one of them would make the jump you see in the lower right of the photo, but they all passed it by. I thought my son Mark would appreciate the boating picture, however.

We continued on a bike path for the final miles to town, only leaving it about 2.5 miles from the hotel. It was a very nice path, as you can see here.

The only down side to the day was that I had two flat tires, the first since Twin Falls, Idaho. The irony is that I have been hearing about my rear tire for days from other riders. It was so bald that blue kevlar was showing virtually all the way around, it had cuts all over the place, many such that you would expect a blowout, but no flats. Last night, I finally broke down and replaced it. Of course, now I get flats. The first, I ran over a big staple, so it was understandable. I compounded the problem by cross threading my CO2 dispenser so it wouldn't put out any air, and I couldn't unscrew it. I used a passing riders little pump, but probably only got about 40 psi in, so I got a pinch flat down the road. This time, a rider with a longer pump came by, and I got about 75 psi in, so I made it to the SAG and a good pump. Once it was properly filled, I had no further problems.

No comments: