Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ride the West Day 8 - Crescent City to Eureka

Daily Statistics
Mileage:  83.9
Vertical Gain:  5007 feet
Calories Burned:  7132 (2992)

Link to Garmin Route Data

Today is the kind of day this ride is all about.  We had an absolutely perfect day from start to finish.  The weather was about 50 degrees and sunny as we loaded and left our home of two nights.  We very quickly got into our biggest climb of the trip so far (we topped out at about 1250 feet up, with most about 7% grade).  You can see we still had great views of the coast from this shot I took along the way.


About 15 miles in, we came to that famous tourist trap, the Trees of Mystery.  I was a little disappointed, because the last time I was there, Paul Bunyan talked with us, and I had everyone ready for it.  He was apparently off duty this time.  Here is a shot of me at Paul's foot.

Paul Bunyan and me
Our 1st SAG was a about 4 or 5 miles later.  About 5 miles after the SAG, we left 101 for the Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway.  This is a terrific side loop of about 9 miles, with lots of big trees and minimal traffic.  Mike Munk was waiting for us at a hollowed out tree trunk, and took the following shot.  I think we had 8 or 10 of us in the shot before I left.  This is what I got on my camera.  You can check bamacyclist.com for other photos Mike takes.

Me, Russ, Mose, and Barb
I also took this shot as I rode along.  It is not very clear, but does give you an idea of the kind of riding we had in this area.

Typical of Newton B Drury Scenic Parkway
We also came across a large herd of elk as we were getting back on 101, but I couldn't get a good shot so you will have to take my word for it.  We exited 101 again, this time on Patricks Point Drivie.  Our second SAG was in the little town of Trinidad.  From there, we went on a road called Scenic Drive.  It certainly lived up to its name, but was absolutely dreadful for the quality of road.

Here is a last shot of gorgeous coastline, which I took somewhere along here.


With about 20 miles to go, they routed us on a bike path, which took us maybe 3 or 4 miles before ending on a narrow bike bridge.  We were then left to travel 2 or 3 miles on a gravel road, which did not make a lot of folks very happy.  I was fine with it, and just took it easy.  I then made it smoothly in to town and the motel.  There is a terrific old mansion, but I will leave you to look back at 2008 for a photo. 

Tomorrow is my favorite day of the ride, as we spend 30 miles in the Avenue of the Giants. 

No comments: