Sunday, July 11, 2010

AAN Day 21 - Lusk, WY to Hot Springs, SD

Daily Statistics:
Mileage: 93.7 miles Average Speed: 15.7 mph
Vertical: 3402 feet Depart: 6:02 AM Arrive: 12:20 PM
Calories: 5860

Link to Garmin ROUTE DATA

I got off to a good start leaving Lusk. Had a very modest breakfast at the motel, got my gear on the truck, and was off just after 6. The last day in Wyoming was a little more interesting, with this rock on the route.

I stopped to read a historical marker, which was about building a fort here in Wyoming to battle the Indians, that was supposed to be in Nebraska. I thought the abandoned farm and windmill across the road made a more interesting scene.

About 57 miles into the day's ride, I arrived at the South Dakota state line. I didn't get a great shot, but you get the idea. They highlight Mt Rushmore (tomorrow's ride). We are now in the fourth state of the ride. Six more plus the province of Ontario, and we will be at the Atlantic.
With about 10 miles to go, I took this shot of folks in the hay business in a big way. It also shows we have trees in the Black Hills, which have been rare at best in eastern Wyoming.

Our ride by Mt Rushmore is one of the biggest remaining climbing days in the next several weeks, so we shall see. I am looking forward to the visit, as I don't believe I have been there since I was 10 or 11.

No comments: