Wednesday, July 21, 2010

AAN Day 31 - Mankato to Rochester, MN

Daily Statistics:
Mileage: 101.4 miles Average Speed: 15.2 mph
Vertical: 3036 feet Depart: 6:37 AM Arrive: 1:52 PM
Calories: 6579

Link to Garmin ROUTE DATA

Today began with a tough start. We left the motel, and immediately had a very steep climb. I am told we hit at least 12% grades. Fortunately, it didn't last for long, and we got established on the route. About halfway to the first SAG, the tandem came along with Tom Zack, Don Yost, and Alison Tims in tow, so I jumped on and let them pull me to the first SAG. It made it pretty nice. The first SAG was across the road from one of the 10,000 Minnesota lakes, shown below. Not a great shot, but you get the idea.

I headed out on my own for the second SAG, once again back in endless farmland, mostly corn. I was doing pretty well, and got to the SAG just a moment before the tandem crew. They would have caught me if it had been any farther. I went in a got a sub at the store at the SAG, as it was already lunch time. The building by the SAG had this nice mural of old cars, and folks were posing with their bicycles in front of it. I just took the plain vanilla shot myself. This was in the little town of Concord.

It was getting pretty warm, and the route had a bunch of rollers on the way into town. If you haven't seen enough already, here is a shot of some farms and CORN fields about 10 miles outside of Rochester. When we got to town, they routed us the last 5 miles or so on a bike path along a river. It was probably very nice, but I was tired and just wanted to get in.

Tomorrow it is on to Wisconsin.

For my brother John Paul (and anyone else who might like it) I am providing a link to the complete itinerary of the ride:

Link to RIDE ITINERARY

No comments: