Saturday, July 31, 2010

AAN Day 41 - London to Brantford, ONT

Daily Statistics:
Mileage: 68.3 miles Average Speed: 15.8 mph
Vertical: 1489 feet Depart: 8:37 AM Arrive: 1:21 PM
Calories: 4514

Link to Garmin ROUTE DATA

The start to today's story is right in the parking lot. A number of the folks took the opportunity to go to the local bicycle shop and buy Canada maple leaf jerseys. Of course, we assembled them and took a shot of them all decked out in the new finery.

Once we got on the road, it was a perfect day for cycling. It was about 60 degrees on departure, and stayed overcast the whole day. It was maybe mid 70s when I got in. It did drizzle just a little after I was safely in. As usual, we were on back roads with the typical farms. This shows both a farm, and the type of sky we were dealing with.

Our first SAG was in a nice little town park in the town of Springford. This was followed by a series of small towns, including Otterville, Oakland, and Mt Pleasant. I took a shot of this old church, I believe in Otterville, but it might have been Oakland. It dates to 1887.

I saw about three churches with this type of steeple. I think maybe they were trying to build a fort instead. This one was after I arrived in Brantford. Other than that, I did not see anything very remarkable. I rode on my own, and tried to use the shorter ride as somewhat of a rolling recovery day. I did some pretty intense miles yesterday with the speedsters, and needed a break.
Tomorrow, we will be crossing back into the USA at Niagara Falls.

No comments: