Monday, September 8, 2008

Day 2 - Tillamook to Lincoln City

Daily statistics: 64 miles covered and 5106 calories burned.
Left hotel at 7:13 and arrived at 1:53.


We started our ride today on the Three Capes Scenic Route. We continue to be extremely blessed. At route rap last night, they said that both of the last two years, when they got to the Cape Meares lookout, it was so socked in they couldn't see anything. As the photo below can attest, this was not the case today. I am pictured with Boaz Pomeranz and Ron Doornink (my riding partner again today) at the overlook. I could show a number of great beach views, but expect to have the opportunity to do this over the next few days.


The other picture I am featuring today is of what is called the "Octopus Tree." I didn't capture it perfectly, but I think you can get the idea. It is quite a sight. The second Cape was Cape Lookout, where we had a SAG stop. I never did figure out what the third one was.


After leaving the Three Capes route, we got back on Hwy 101 a few miles. My old roomie Andrew Perry would be pleased, as had we just gotten on 101 in the first place, we would have taken 20 miles off the trip. Of course, we would have missed a lot of great scenery. We could have also gone directly to Lincoln City on 101, but of course left it so we could take Slab Creek Road and climb for 6 or 7 miles and add a little distance.
We stopped about 4 miles from the motel at a little place called the Otis Cafe. It was a tiny little place, but every table was full. The ride leaders had recommended it for the pie, and I must say it was very good, as was my sandwich. We got to the motel, and had the usual hour and a half wait for the luggage truck. All in all, it was a terrific day to be on the road. The weather and the route were both fabulous.
I wanted to provide a few rider facts. Our oldest riders are 74 and 70. We have 12 men and 3 women. There is an Israeli again this year, and one of the women is English. We seem to get along well so far.





No comments: