Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day 3 - Lincoln City to Florence

Daily Statistics: Rode 79.62 miles and burned 4927 calories

Left the hotel at 7:42 and arrived at 1:38 (no breakfast or lunch stop)

I think I mentioned that the tour leaders said that every day would have more to see than the last. This was certainly true for today. Both Ron and I agreed today had the most sights to see so far. I had a tough time deciding what photos to show, but decided I would lead off with one of me, simply to show I am really out here riding (plus I love my SOB jersey that is thanks to Herb Schon from last year). The other thing to take from this shot is that today was probably much more typical Oregon coast weather than we have been seeing. We were overcast/foggy all morning, with the sun finally starting to break out around 12:30.

We spent virtually the entire day on Hwy 101, but it is a great stretch. My first stop was at this photo in Boiler Bay. We crossed through Depoe Bay, advertising the world's smallest harbor. We then made our way via the Otter Crest Loop to Devil's Punchbowl. This is a neat formation, as you can see in the picture below. From the Devil's Punchbowl, we continued on to our first SAG at Yaquina Bay State Park. I wanted to include a photo of the great bridge we crossed upon leaving, but can't use too much of my space.

We proceeded on through Newport, Seal Rock, Alsea Bay, and Waldport to our second SAG at Yachats State Park. This is another great town and park. Ron and I got there ahead of the SAG, and were just leaving when Mike pulled in. He said they were having a tough time keeping ahead of us, and why didn't we leave an hour after the luggage truck leaves the hotel. This is not my style.
Leaving Yachats, we continued on to Devil's Churn and Cape Perpetua, eventually coming to a view point for the Heceta Head Lighthouse. I can't have an Oregon coast story without a lighthouse picture, so here it is. Shortly after this we went through a tunnel, past the Sea Lion's Cave, and on to cover the last 10 miles to the hotel.

All in all, today was another great day to be on a bike. Again, check Mike's blog at bamacyclist.com for photos of all the riders and many other great pictures. See you tomorrow.

No comments: